"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, December 27, 2021

2021 In Review

Above, the bull-riding event at the Gallup Inter-Tribal Indian Ceremonial Rodeo. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

2021 is nearly over and it's time to do my usuall year in review.

First off, I am grateful that no family members or close friends have passed away. There was one loss that is almost like losing a friend. For nearly 40 years, I've started my days by turning on the radio to listen to Rush Limbaugh. His passing back in February was like a life-changer as my routine for the day has been altered. He is still missed. There was a big void this holiday season without his Christmas shows.

The First Quarter

Above, on the balcony of Southfork's ranch house. 

The first quarter of the year started as it normally does. Except, I decided I wanted to see the new John Wayne: An American Experience exhibit in Fort Worth, Texas that opened in December 2020. Mitch Geriminsky joined me on the trip to Texas that included the Wayne exhibit, the 6th Floor Museum At Dealey Plaza, Southfork Ranch (the filming location for the prime-time soap, Dallas) and the Fort Worth Stockyards. 

Above, yours truly at John Wayne: An American Experience. Photo by Mitch Geriminsky.

We had a great time as we rented a car and roamed around the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I'd like to go back during the summer months.

Also in January, I went to the wedding of Mitch and Holly Geriminsky in Las Vegas. We had a good time there and had a great barbecue dinner at the reception. 

The next big trip of the quarter was the Lost Dutchman Chapter of E Clampus Vitus Spring Clampout in March in Quartzsite, Arizona. I was joined there by Glenn Thornhill and Gary Julian from California. I hadn't seen either since I moved to New Mexico. We had somewhere around 200 Clampers attend. We had a great time.

Above, with Glenn Thornhill and Gary Julian at the Lost Dutchman spring clampout.

The Second Quarter

Above, the Durango train about to depart from Durango Station. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Since New Mexico theaters were shut down due to the pandemic, I headed up to Durango, Colorado (a 3-hour drive) to see Godzilla vs. Kong in April. I made the trip a little mini-vacation and stayed at the Apen Rose RV Park in Durango. The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad passes the campground across the highway. I had a relaxing good time in Durango, along with good food. I picked up another bottle of rum from Honeyville while in Durango. Good stuff!

I didn't ride the train this trip, but I did tour the train museum at the roundhouse of the Durango train station. Nice collection!

As it turned out, New Mexico theaters were allowed to re-open the following week.

The Third Quarter

Above, at Bella's Cappuchino and Cafe in Wells, Nevada.

In July, the Wild West Days Rodeo in Grants was held. It was nice to attend a rodeo again. It was the only rodeo held last year. 

Also in July, I took a little trip to Chaco Canyon and camped there. It was an interesting place to view up close ancient pueblo Indian dwellings. The drive in was an adventure itself. It is accessible only a rough dirt road for about 20 miles. The Beast handled it fine. 

Above, cliff dwellings at Chaco Canyon. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

In late July, Mitch Geriminsky and I flew to Twin Falls, Idaho to attend the Wells (Nevada) Fun Run car rally and show. This was the event that I missed three years ago when I had my heart issue. This time I was able to enjoy the entire weekend and see friends. Our group joined Linda Wilson in scattering her husband Bill's ashes at the rally. He passed away the year before from leukemia. We had thunderstorms the whole weekend and that caused problems for us when we tried to return home. Flights were delayed or cancelled in Salt Lake City, where we were to catch our connecting flights. I ended up getting a hotel room near the airport and got a flight to Albuquerque the next morning. It was bizarre that thunderstorms were all over the Southwest that weekend. Needless to say, we had a great time at the Wells Fun Run.

In August, I attended the Bloomer Trailers Best of the Best Rodeo and the Gallup Inter-Tribal Indian Ceremonial and Rodeo in August. Both events were held at Red Rock Park Rodeo Arena. The Indian Ceremonial was smaller than in years past, but I had fun there anyway. 

The Fourth Quarter

Above, at the Southern New Mexico State Fair in Las Cruces.

In October, I took a drive down to Las Cruces to attend the Southern New Mexico State Fair. It was a nice fair and it included a rodeo. It seemed like half the city was there during the rodeo.I camped at the KOA Kampground a few miles away from the fair. Along with the rodeo, I enjoyed viewing the livestock and exhibits. I may go back again next year.

Above, at the fall clampout with Harold, one our cook crew leaders. 

Also in October, the Lost Dutchman Chapter of E Clampus Vitus returned to Quartzsite for the fall Clampout. Again we all had a great time. Our chapter's "ambassador" Bill Greene, passed away during the summer at age 92 and a ceremony was held honoring him. 

Following the Clampout, I headed to Mitch's in Lake Havasu and saw Dwight Kuntz, a friend during our junior high and high school years. I hadn't seen Dwight since the 1980s at Dodger Stadium. We had a good time catching up.

Above, yours truly, Dwight Kuntz and Mitch Geriminsky at Lake Havasu. Photo by Holly Geriminsky.

In November, I went back to Lake Havasu, Arizona to celebrate Thanksgiving with Mitch and Holly Geriminsky at their new home. I camped at Crazy Horse Campgrounds at the lake. 

Earlier this month, I attended the Balloominaria at Rio West Mall in Gallup. It was part of the Red Rock Balloon Rally held at Red Rock Park. Balloominaria is where balloonists inflate their hot-air balloons in the mall's parking lot and illuminate them at night. Thousands showed up for this event despite the cold temperature.

Above, Ballominaria at Rio West Mall in Gallup. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Christmas dinner was hosted by Greg and Marlo Lucier at their home here in Jamestown. Since I had spent around $1,100 in car repairs and the high price of gasoline, I decided to stay home this Christmas. 

All in all, it wasn't too bad a year for me. Hopefully, 2022 will be a better one. 

No comments:

Search This Blog