"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, July 7, 2022

What's Your Tolerance For High Gas Prices?

Above, the RV at Grand Teton National Park in 2019. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

As gasoline prices rose over the past few months, I had to adjust my summer vacation plans from going to eastern Wyoming and the Black Hills of South Dakota to somewhere much closer to home.

My motorhome's gas tank has a 55 gallon capacity. The current price for unleaded regular at the local Flying J is $4.359/gallon. If my gas tank were completely empty, it would cost me $239.74 to fill it. Anything over $4.00/gallon would not be within my tolerance level for a road trip.

National Parks Traveler has posed the question to their readers in a new article posted today.

They start their article with:

What's your breaking point for fuel costs this summer? Will you stay out of the National Park System if you have to pay more than $4.50 per gallon, or $5 per gallon?

During my recent road trip through Wyoming, Nebraska, and Kansas, gas prices certainly caught my attention. I found a relative bargain in McPherson, Kansas, where I paid $4.249/gallon for "Super 93" unleaded, while in Rawlins, Wyoming, the price was $4.799 for regular unleaded. Even though my 2012 Subaru Outback averaged about 26 miles per gallon, fuel was a major expense for the trip. 

But there were many travelers out on the highways, where I saw more than a few three-quarter-ton pickups hauling fifth-wheel campers, and you know they're lucky if they can average 15 miles per gallon. While I never paid $70 or more to fill up my 16-gallon tank, filling a 36-gallon pickup tank with diesel can run $200 or more, a breath-catching cost. It might cost four or five times that to fill one of those bus conversion RVs.

To read the full article, go here

No comments:

Search This Blog