"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Saw John Wayne's Former Cattle Ranch

Above, the 26 Bar Ranch once owned by John Wayne. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

This morning, I headed off to Tombstone, Arizona for the spring clampout of the Lost Dutchman Chapter of  E Clampus Vitus.

I decided to leave today so that I could drive in Arizona's White Mountains and see the former cattle ranch of actor John Wayne in Eagar, Arizona, the 26 Bar Ranch.

Above, a zoom shot of the main ranch house. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I was able to view the ranch from the main gate area (there were "no trespassing" signs posted). It is now owned by the Hopi tribe. I didn't see the "historical marker" that was placed near the ranch.

The ranch looked exactly like the photos of it I've seen online. I stopped and took a few photos of it before heading back on the road. After leaving Eagar, I passed by the Round Valley Rodeo Grounds in Springerville. I have seen Wayne there in photos from the 1960s at events and the grounds looked the same now as it did then.

Above, John Wayne at the Round Valley Rodeo Grounds. I saw this spot as I passed by it today.

The road to Willcox, Arizona (where I am spending the night at the KOA) was a long one. Much of it was in forested mountains that were winding with low speed limits. It was a scenic drive, but even I got weary of the winding roads. I drove around 380 miles today.

I reached Willcox just before 2:00 and after setting up camp, I jumped into the campground's hot tub for a good hot soak. That felt great after that long drive.

I will be heading into Tombstone tomorrow morning. It is probably around a 60-mile drive.

No comments:

Search This Blog