"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, April 1, 2023

Superman Canyon

Above, the eastern end of Superman Canyon. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Last evening, I decided to have dinner in Gallup. When I got on Interstate 40 to head into Gallup, I saw that there was a huge line of traffic in the eastbound lanes stretching from Coolidge to almost the McGaffey exit.

Anticipating that the traffic won't clear by the time I headed back (and monitoring the situation on my phone), I took an alternate route home.

This route, in the Navajo Nation, took me past Superman Canyon northeast of Gallup.

Why is this called Superman Canyon? Scenes from Superman (1978) were filmed there.

According to Filmedthere.com:

The scenes shown below are from when Lois dies in the earthquake. Superman turns back time to fix everything and bring Lois back. The location is located on Superman Canyon Rd, in Gallup, NM. From I-40, you need to be on Route 66. find State Rd. 43A also known as Superman Canyon Rd. About 4-4.5 miles up the road is the movie scene location.

 

Above, Christopher Reeve and Margo Kidder in Superman Canyon in 1978. Photo by Warner Bros.

My route took me past Superman Canyon at the eastern end from the route stated above.

Along the way, I pulled over and took a couple of pictures of the canyon. 

Above, another view of the eastern end of Superman Canyon. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

To read more, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog