"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, March 3, 2024

"Want" and "Need"

Above, buying the Winchester 1894 in April 2019. The price for these has risen considerably since then. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Prior to 2019, I had been on the lookout for a pre-1964 Winchester 1894 rifle or carbine in .30-30 Win. It was a rifle I've always wanted.

When I went to Albuquerque in April 2019 to overnight for an early morning flight the next day to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise to Cuba, I did two things while there. I dropped off my motorhome to the local Ford dealer to have the dash air conditioner fixed (due to rodents). I then checked into my motel room near the Albuquerque Sunport. 

Rather than sit around in the motel room, I contacted Uber to get a ride to Ron Peterson Firearms to just browse around. The store had a great reputation on used guns according to friends, so I decided to go there.

As I was browsing around the gun shop, I came across a Winchester 1894 carbine that was in .30-30 and a pre-1964. The serial number indicated it was made in 1962. It was in great shape (the bore was nice and smooth) and I put it on layaway. I picked it up upon my return from the cruise. 

What prompts this post was a Facebook Winchester 94 post by a fellow who bought a similar rifle. But there was another available.

He posted:

I just bought a 1952 Model 94 in 30-30 from a local pawn shop. The rifle looks to be in really nice shape (no pics yet). While I was there, I noticed another 50’s era 94 in 32 WSP I could pick up for the same price as the 30-30. The 32 is not as nice as the 30-30 but not terrible either. Now, I already have a Marlin 336 and now the 94 so I really don’t “need” another rifle but I’ll get it if it’s collectible enough to buy.  Thoughts???

This led to amusing replies on the terms "need" and "want" when it came to firearms.

Here's three replies (there were 46 replies):

Need has zero to do with your wants. Just get it!!

Need? I apologize but, what is this word supposed to mean in this context? I want it. I have the means to buy it. So it’s mine now. See how easy that is to say?  Need indeed!!! Lol  

Buy it or it’s going to haunt you for years lol I know!

My attitude in the gun store aligned perfectly with the second response above. I bought it!

After the responses, the original poster replied:

Thanks for all the comments, you've helped me make my decision. I'm adding another to the collection. I'll post pics up when I pick them both up on Friday...

That settled that! See how easy that was?

No comments:

Search This Blog