"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

2019 In Review

Above, snow on the ground in February. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Another year has ended and a new one has started.

2019, for me, wasn't too bad. At least I didn't have any medical emergencies like I did in 2018 and no family funerals to have to attend.

I am settled in at Jamestown, New Mexico. There plenty of friends here and things to see and do.

There are rodeos during the summer, the Inter-Tribal Indian Ceremonial, nightly Indian dances, hot-air balloon rally and other things going on.

Winter 2018-2019

2019 started with a big snowstorm over New Year's. The snow lasted for weeks. Wintertime is generally the quiet period in New Mexico, at least in the Gallup area.

Above, at the Board of Commissioners meeting in February. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

We did have one event. Hundreds of irate gun owners urged the McKinley County Board of Commissioners to declare the county a "Second Amendment Sanctuary County" against radical liberal gun control laws the Democrats are passing. The county did so declare itself.

Spring


Above, at the spring clampout in Wilhoit, Arizona. 

In April, the Lost Dutchman Chapter of E Clampus Vitus held its spring clampout at Wilhoit, Arizona, which is near Prescott. On the way there, I drove through Segona, Arizona for the first time in over 30 years. The place really has built up.

Above, en route to Key West and Havana. Photo by Mitch Geriminsky.

Also in April, Mitch Geriminsky and I took a cruise to Havana, Cuba from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, with an all-day stopover jn Key West. Key West is a fun place and I would like to spend more time there. Maybe this year I will. Havana was interesting. We took a bus tour around the city and stopped to buy souvenirs, rum and, of course, cigars. The people were very friendly and we got to see the famous 1950s American automobiles around the city.

Above, Mitch and I upon arrival in Havana, Cuba.

In May, rodeo season started up with the junior high and high school rodeo at Red Rock Park. Beginning on Memorial Day (through Labor Day), the nightly Indian dances begin at the McKinley County Courthouse plaza.

Above, a shot from the Lions Club Rodeo at Red Rock Park. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

The Lions Club and Best of the Best rodeos were held in June, which I attended.

Summer

Above, presenting J. D. Lees with a "peace pipe" at G-FEST. Photo by Reagan Lees.

In early July, I flew to Chicago's O'Hare Airport to attend this year's G-FEST (Godzilla convention) at the Crowne Plaza in Rosemont, Illinois. This was the first G-FEST I've attended in ten years and it was good to see many friends for the first time in years.

Above, Jessica Tseang and I at G-FEST. Photo by Steve Ryfle.

The plan for late July was to meet up with Bill Wilson at the Wells Fun Run car rally in Wells, Nevada. It was at last year's Wells Fun Run that I had my heart attack and had to have two stents put into a coronary artery. Mitch Geriminsky and I didn't go to Wells (except for a lunch break) for the rally. Bill had come down with a type of blood cancer a few months prior, so he couldn't attend. So, we went instead to his house in Buhl, Idaho and hung out there for a few days. Many others skipped the Wells Fun Run and also went to Bill's. We had a good time there.

Above, with Mitch Geriminsky and Bill Wilson in Buhl, Idaho.

After a few days in Buhl, Mitch and I went to Jackson, Wyoming for a few days. We wandered around Jackson and took a ride on the aerial tramway. We took a driving tour of Grand Teton National Park and into Yellowstone National Park (just to Old Faithful Geyser). Mitch came down with altitude sickness, so he couldn't join me in a Snake River whitewater rafting trip. This was the first time in decades since I did any whitewater rafting. It was great fun!

Above, yours truly whitewater rafting on the Snake River.

After coming home, I bought a zero-turn riding mower and a minibike. Yard work was never so much fun since I bought the mower. I have been enjoying riding the minibike around the community.

Above, with the 1952 Willys Jeep M38A1. Photo by Nandoh Munoz.

Weeks later, a great deal on a 1952 Willys Jeep M38A1 fell into my lap. So I bought it and have been enjoying drives into nearby Six Mile Canyon in the Cibola National Forest. I was planning on getting an off-road vehicle of some sort, and the Jeep (being four-wheel-drive) fit nicely.

My cardiologist always wants me to exercise. He was pleased about me getting the Jeep. Since it has no power steering, it is giving me some good arm and upper body workouts on OHV roads.

Above, the Jeep in Six Mile Canyon. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

In August, we held a plaque dedication at the El Rancho Hotel in Gallup with the Lost Dutchman Chapter of E Clampus Vitus. I helped to arrange the event and getting a Zuni Pueblo dance group to perform at the ceremony. Clampers who attended had a great time.

Above, a gathering for the plaque dedication at the El Rancho Hotel in Gallup.

I joined the Lost Dutchman Chapter again in September at their fall clampout in Cool Springs, Arizona on old Route 66. Our next clampout will be in April in Quartzsite, Arizona.

Above, with Clamper Bill in Cool Springs, Arizona. Photo by XNGH Tom Garland.

Autumn

Outside of doctors appointments, there wasn't too much going on. I continued to take drives into Cibola National Forest with the Jeep until it closed for the winter on December 15. It will re-open in March.

In November, I did some Christmas shopping at the monthly Crownpoint, New Mexico Indian Rug Auction. And, I spent Thanksgiving with Roberta and Nandoh Munoz in Jamestown.

Above, Cowboys for Trump ride in Grants, New Mexico. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Also in November, I attended the Cowboys for Trump ride in Grants, New Mexico. It was a fun event with many attendees riding on horseback and assorted vehicles.

Winter 2019-2020

Above, with a friend in Oatman. Photo by Mitch Geriminsky.

I took a nine day RV trip to my cousin's in Wildomar, California for the Christmas holiday. I spent a few days in Lake Havasu at Mitch Geriminsky's while en route. We took a drive to Oatman, Arizona for the day. I hadn't been there since the 1980s. It was fun seeing the town and the wild burros wandering the town's streets.

Early in December, I attended the Red Rock Balloon Rally at Red Rock Park near Gallup. It was 25° outside, but I had fun anyway.

Above, the Red Rock Balloon Rally. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

2020 looks to be an interesting year with the elections coming up. I am looking forward to it.

No comments:

Search This Blog