"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Remembering Don DeFore

Above, John Wayne, Claudette Colbert and Don DeFore in Without Reservations.

Yesterday, a batch of DVDs arrived in the mail and one of them was the 1946 light romantic comedy, Without Reservations, starring John Wayne, Claudette Colbert and Don DeFore, with cameos by Jack Benny and Cary Grant. I viewed it this evening.

Here's the story synopsis:
Famous author "Kit" Masterson (Claudette Colbert) needs an actor to portray the lead character, a soldier, in the upcoming movie version of her book. While on a train to California, she meets Marine Rusty Thomas (John Wayne) and his friend, Dink (Don DeFore). She begins to imagine the macho Rusty as the lead, and attempts to stay in his company. However, since Rusty did not like her book, Kit must conceal her identity, all the while growing more attracted to her potential actor.

It had been over 40 years since I last viewed this movie, so it was almost fresh today. It reminded me of my meeting Don DeFore 40 years ago.

Actor Don DeFore was a California Ronald Reagan Delegate (as I was) for the 1980 Republican National Convention in Detroit, Michigan. The Reagan campaign chartered a delegation plane and I was seated next to DeFore and his wife Marion during the flight. While headed to Detroit, DeFore and I talked movies and one of the movies we especially discussed was Without Reservations, since I last viewed it only months before.

DeFore is best known for his roles in the series Ozzie and Harriet and Hazel.

Above, actor Don DeFore (center) at the 1980 Republican National Convention. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Following the convention, I sent a copy of the above photo to DeFore (at his request) and I received a nice thank-you letter (which I have around here, somewhere).

Some parts of the movie took place in New Mexico with some footage of 1940s Albuquerque, which I found interesting. If one is a John Wayne fan or a fan of 1940s romantic comedies, I recommend this movie.

Don DeFore passed away in 1993 and Marion DeFore passed away in 2011.

No comments:

Search This Blog