"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, May 7, 2020

Made It Through "Checkpoint Charlie"

Above, the checkpoint at Exit 20 (Munoz Blvd.) of westbbound Interstate 40. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

This morning, I had to get a few grocery items. First, I considered going to Grants, which is about 45 miles east. Then, since I heard that Jamestown is considered a part of Gallup (even though were about 19 miles away), I decided to take a chance to see if I could go to the market there.

So, I headed off a couple of hours ago.

I exited the eastern-most exit (considered East Gallup) and there wasn't a checkpoint at the exit. However, the state police had the checkpoint (I call it "Checkpoint Charlie" after the former one in Germany) on Historic Route 66. I was prepared to show the New Mexico State Police my driver's license when I approached. But, when I got to them, all they asked me was where in town I was going to. All I said was, "Albertson's" and they let me through. No problem!

It was a good thing I went when I did. Between the hours of 7:00 and 9:00 on Thursdays, seniors get a 10% discount on groceries. Sometimes age has its advantages!

Unless things changed over the past 24 hours, the lockdown of Gallup is supposed to end at noon today.

No comments:

Search This Blog