"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, July 21, 2024

Latest G-FAN

Above, G-FAN #144


Ben Johnson and Scott Glenn in My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys (1991):

Johnson: "You know the worst thing about gettin' old?" 

Glenn: "No Sir."

Johnson: "Gettin' old!"

Yup! That's about the way it is. If one is lucky to be in good health in their "advanced years", aging isn't so bad. It sure beats the alternative.

It has been a week today that G-FEST XXIX ended and I was waiting to catch my plane back to New Mexico (with a three-hour delay). I had a good time attending. 

But I did notice one thing, I didn't have the stamina like I did during past years. I had to pace myself more and sit down more often. My cardiologist wants me to do a lot of walking. There was certainly a lot of that, so much so that I had leg cramps the first night (Thursday) I was there. They were the first ones in years for me. 

Aside from the two coronary artery stents I have (since 2018), I feel pretty good. 

At G-FEST, J. D. Lees and I were talking about slowing down and taking things easier. He's a year younger than I (I'm 70) and has already handed the reins of G-FEST to his daughter Payton. From what I saw at G-FEST, she's doing a great job. The convention is in good hands.

The latest issue of G-FAN arrived in the mail Friday. In his "Dear G-Friends" column, he stated, "I intend to reluctantly end my editorship" with issue #150. Whether the magazine will end then or taken over by someone else is not known. A lot of work goes into publishing a magazine and it is remarkable that it has lasted over 30 years. He stated he doesn't want it to end and will be looking for ways to keep it going. As he said, he is entering "old age". I can certainly empathize with that. Even William F. Buckley Jr. took a similar path (stepping down from National Review and Firing Line) as he entered old age. J. D. also indicated that he might change his mind. 

Whatever happens, I, for one, am grateful for the years of work J. D. put into fandom and wish to take this opportunity to say "Thank You". He deserves some more relaxing quality time to enjoy his golden years and do some traveling. He earned it. He has an open invitation to come down here to "Indian Country".

No comments:

Search This Blog