"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, September 18, 2026

Jim Carmichel’s ‘Favorite’ Deer Rifles

Above, my 1962 vintage Winchester 94. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Everyone (well, almost everyone) has favorite guns, including favorite deer rifles.

Outdoor Life posted an article on Jim Carmichael's (former shooting editor for Outdoor Life) favorite deer rifles. It was originally published in Outdoor Life in the November 2002 issue.

It begins with:

I don’t have a favorite deer rifle, but I used to. It was a Model 94 Winchester that I got in a trade when I was 14. All the cowboys in the movies had lever-action Winchesters, so that was reason enough to want one. I can’t remember all the details of the deal, but the kid I swapped with drove a hard bargain. Among other valuable items he skinned me out of were a pocket watch that didn’t work and a model airplane engine that wouldn’t run.

The rifle was in pretty sad shape. It came with three cartridges, one of which I fired to make sure the gun would shoot. Actually, the rifle’s rusty metal and battered wood were among the reasons I wanted it. Even at that tender age I was a budding do-it-yourselfer and had visions of renewing the rifle to gleaming steel and glistening hand-rubbed wood.

What I mostly learned from that enterprise was that lever rifles are a lot trickier to reassemble than they are to take apart. When I finally got it back together it didn’t look much better than before and was certainly not what I had envisioned. But l had a deer rifle and it was my favorite, even though I never shot a deer with it.

To read the full article, go here. 

No comments:

Search This Blog