"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, August 3, 2020

Aunt Glo's Funeral In Riverside and Getting There

Above, the priest reading over the final rites at Riverside National Cemetery. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

After about a 13-hour train ride, I am back home from attending my Aunt Gloria's funeral service.

She passed away April 4, but due to COVID-19, there were no funeral services or burials at Riverside National Cemetery (this was likely the same at other national cemeteries). So, things were put on hold until last week.

We met up at the mortuary for the rosary and funeral services and then migrated over to Riverside National Cemetery for the interment. The temperature sign at the mortuary was a little bit inaccurate, but not by too much. It was very hot outside.

Above, the temperature sign at the mortuary. It was off, but not by much. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

After the ceremonies, my cousin Maria and I went over to my parents grave and placed flowers there.

Then, we all headed to Maria's in Wildomar for a gathering of family members and friends. All of my aunt's siblings families were represented.

My trip to Wildomar was goofed up a bit as I took the Amtrak train from Gallup, New Mexico with the intention of going to Fullerton, California and taking a bus from there to Riverside Station. This was a bizarre schedule as I would have had a four-hour layover in Fullerton before the bus ride. The bizarre part was that the train stopped at Riverside Station. I could have gotten off the train there, but I didn't want to make the wait longer before my cousin picked me up.

What happened was that at Fullerton Station, I got down to the lower level of my train car, but the doors didn't open. It seems that it depends upon what car a traveler is on if that car's doors are opened. I should have gone to a different car. But I had no idea of this. So, I ended up going to Union Station in Los Angeles to get a train back to Fullerton. It was about an hour and a half wait before the Fullerton train departs.

I got on the train and made sure I exited at Fullerton. My cousin's husband Fred was at the station when I arrived as, luckily, he had some business to do in Fullerton.

It was worth going to Union Station as I have never been inside of it before. It is a beautiful historical building. Thankfully, everything worked out just fine after all.

Some photos:

Above, the Gallup Station gate to the tracks. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, the arrival of the train at Gallup Station. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, inside the train car. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, the train snack bar. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, the main lobby of Union Station in Los Angeles. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, waiting for the Fullerton train to arrive. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, the pond and waterfall at Riverside National Cemetery. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, the priest officiating at Riverside National Cemetery. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, Aunt Gloria's urn. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, cousin Maria at my parents' grave. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, your truly at my parents' grave. Photo by Maria Malone.

Above, the flowers and headstone of my parents. Photo by Armand Vaquer.


Above, Aunt Gloria in July 2016. Photo by Armand Vaquer.


No comments:

Search This Blog