"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Thursday, February 18, 2021

Yum Burger Shoppe of Inglewood, California

Above, the Yum Burger Shoppe logo.

Back in the 1960s, there was a hamburger restaurant called Yum Burger Shoppe at 3300 W. Manchester Blvd. in Inglewood, California. It was across the street from the Academy Theater in the Morningside section of the city.

My parents, grandmother and I used to frequent Yum Burger when I was a kid. The burgers were great, but what I really liked were their homemade donuts. After church, we would go there for lunch and pick up a dozen donuts.

Above, a vintage Yum Burger plate from the 1960s.

Somewhere around 1964, Yum Burger had a fire that gutted the restaurant, but, fortunately, the owners rebuilt the restaurant.

According to Restaurant Ware Collectors Network:

Yum Burger Shoppe was located at 3300 W. Manchester in Inglewood, CA. On the back of a 1951 menu, owner Arlow W. Nalder, who died September 26, 1969, welcomed patrons to the new home of Yum Burger so it either had a major renovation in the same location or relocated. Burgers and hot fudge sundaes were just 35 cents at that time.
Above, a 1950s Yum Burger menu.

The former location of Yum Burger is now a dentistry. The building's shape leads me to believe that it is the original Yum Burger structure, just extensively remodeled. The entrance faced diagonally at the corner of the block.

Here is the building today:



I could not find any photos of Yum Burger Shoppe. If anyone reading this has a photo of the restaurant, please forward a copy. I would be happy to post it.

Another favorite "burger joint" in Inglewood was Scotty's, near the 5th Avenue Theater. Unfortunately, I could not find any information on it. 

11 comments:

Kenneth Cox said...

My grandfather is Arlow Nalder. His daughter, Barbara Nalder (Cox) is my mom. She worked at Yumburger Shoppe for many years alongside her dad. I think she might have some photos and other items. We still have the menus and some other things as well.

Armand Vaquer said...

Wow! I'd love to see them. If you do, feel free to forward them to AMVaquer@aol.com. I'd be happy to post them. Thanks!

City of Inglewood said...

Great post. I work for the City of Inglewood Video and Social Media Division and we are currently producing a #TBT program that features history of the City. If you are able to share some the Yum Burger content with me, that'd be great! videoandsocial@cityofinglewood.org is my email.

Thanks

desperately seeking photos! said...

I am interested in trying to locate some pictures of the inside and outside of Yum Burger if anyone has any I would be happy to purchase copies. My in-laws met there in the 60's and are still married to this day. I would love to make something for them for their anniversary. Please feel free to reach out to me by email at okiegal3269@yahoo.com with subjet line yum burger. Thank you in advance!

quixote34 said...

I remember going there with my family on a few "special" occasions when I was in junior high school--1953 and 1954!
Arlow Nalder was my best friend Mardean Mantle's uncle.

Anonymous said...

I went there with my grandfather. Best donuts ever. Particularly the cake donuts covered in coconut. I was devastated when I figured out it was gone.

Anonymous said...

I am 85 and grew up in S. LA. I remember Yum Burger . My best friend at the time dated a girl who’s folks owned a coffee shop at Manchester and Crenshaw. Forgot the name. I have a question? Does any one remember the Mac Farlanes candy shop and walk up hamburger stand on Manchester, lose to Western Ave? A black and white checkerboard pattern. A long time ago. My. Name is a Pete.

Steven Harsey said...

Discovered accidentally while looking for 1960's Inglewood memories. To Kenneth Cox, I went to school with your mom at Inglewood High. I was class of 1966, think she may be a year older. My parents went to Yum Burger in early days too. It was a popular hang out for Mormon kids at IHS and Morningside High. Great memories.

Steven Harsey said...

I went to Inglewood High when Barbara Nalder's family owned Yum Burger. It was a favor hang out for Mormon kids attending IHS and Morningside High School. Great memories. I think chains like Bob's Big Boy spelled the end of the mom and pop coffee shop. Sad

Anonymous said...

It was on Manchester and 3rd

Jacquie Joner said...

I remember Roland Nalder and his hot 1958 silver Chev. It was the coolest of the cars that hung out at Aha's and we cruised together back in 1959 and 1960 until we graduated from HS and headed to college. The delConte's were there too, as well as Fred Large and Billy Way!! Fun times. Baskin Robbins was West of Aha's.

Search This Blog