"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, January 27, 2024

How To Determine A Gun's Year of Manufacture

Above, the Winchester 1894 made in 1962. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Ever wonder when your gun, that was purchased new or used, was made?

Fortunately, with today's Internet, many gun manufacturers have online databases what will give you that information. Mostly, all one has to do is to enter the model number and serial number. 

To date, I have used such sites to date my Winchester 1894 and 62A rifles and my Ruger 10/22 carbine. I first looked up the Winchester 1894's year of manufacture while at the gun shop before purchasing. The price tag said it was a pre-1964 rifle made in 1962. I looked it up with my cell phone and verified it. I bought the rifle. I did the same with the Winchester 62A rifle I inherited from my grandfather and found that it was made in 1947. Their site can be reached by going here.

On the Ruger 10/22, I knew I bought it new in the 1980s, but couldn't remember the year. I looked it up through Ruger's website and found it was made in 1983. I had to have bought it within a year or so of that. Ruger's site can be reached here.

Most likely, other gun manufacturers have similar databases for gun owners to use. 

No comments:

Search This Blog