"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, November 17, 2019

Blowing Fuses

Above, in Six Mile Canyon. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

After spending yesterday afternoon in Grants for the Cowboys For Trump ride, today was a sedate normal day.

It started it off early and got all my laundry done before 9:00.

Above, facing north on the side road I was exploring. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Then, I got the Jeep out of the garage and did some driving around the neighborhood and in Six Mile Canyon (it is very handy to have OHV roads so near to home). I just went to where the windmill is and turned around. It was a leisurely drive with some stops here and there in the canyon. Before going into Six Mile Canyon (but still in Cibola National Forest), I drove on a side road near a campsite. I only went part way and turned around and then headed into the canyon.

Above, the windmill near my turn-around spot in Six Mile Canyon. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

After driving in Six Mile Canyon, I headed home for a break and to do some tinkering on the Jeep.

The turn signals had stopped working as had the horn a few weeks after buying the Jeep. I had a strong feeling both are fuse issues. First, I had to locate the fuses. The owners manual had no mention of fuses or even a fuse box/panel. I checked online and found that early model Jeeps, like my 1952 M38A1, had no fuses. They were later added in subsequent years.

Above, a view inside Six Mile Canyon. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I found the fuse panel on the firewall in the engine compartment (that was easy). I think the fuse panel and fuses were added by a previous owner. The fuses are the old-fashioned glass tube type. Thankfully, there were some boxes of them in the map box (the Jeep's version of a glove box). I am also glad that each fuse is labeled for what it's for.

I looked at the fuses for the turn signals and horn and found both were blown out. So, I went through all of the fuses to find matching ones. Once I did, I installed them.

Above, the fuses are on the firewall at right. The Jeep appears to have been green in color
originally, judging by the color of the underside of the hood. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

The horn started working just fine again. But, the turn signals aren't.

It definitely needed a fuse and I replaced it. Then they came on, but with no flash, just steady. I took out the flash gizmo and put it back in, and now I get nothing. Maybe a burnt out bulb? The new fuse also blew out, so something's causing it.

Fortunately, having turn signals isn't really necessary while on OHV roads. The horn is a little more important. At least I got that working.

I'll ask about the turn signals with the previous owner the next time I see him.

No comments:

Search This Blog