"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, November 16, 2019

Not Gonna Do It, Wouldn't Be Prudent

Above, the 1952 Willys Jeep M38A1. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

A few days ago, my "honorary sister" asked me if the Jeep would get me to Grants, New Mexico (47 miles from Jamestown) for the Cowboys For Trump ride today.

It probably would, if only historic Route 66 was a continuous road from Jamestown. Sections of the old road are gone in long stretches and the only viable way of getting to Grants is on Interstate 40.

That presents another problem.

These 60-year-old-plus military Jeeps weren't designed for freeway driving. The general consensus on the Willys Jeep M38A1 (which is what I have) is:
With only 68-70 HP and 5:18 gears, top speed is 50 mph and they really like 40-45. These vehicles were designed to be cross-country tactical vehicles for the military, not "cars" per se.

The top speed limit on I-40 is 75 mph. The Jeep would be too slow for it. If I had a car carrier trailer, I'd bring it to Grants on that (towed by The Beast). I did drive it 2 miles (from the Jamestown on-ramp to the Iyanbito off-ramp) to go to Gallup after I first bought it to go to the motor vehicles department to get it registered. From Iyanbito, I took Route 66 into Gallup (thankfully, it goes all the way from Iyanbito to Gallup). I don't think it went over 40 mph while on I-40 during the 2-mile drive on it.

Yes, the Jeep would be great to drive in the Cowboys For Trump ride, but it is just not feasible right now. I'm taking the Mustang.

No comments:

Search This Blog