"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Longer Than Expected At The Flying J

Above, in traffic on a Flying J access road. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Not too long ago, I got home from the Flying J. I was there two hours longer than expected.

Originally, I wasn't planning to go there for our usual coffee gathering, but I saw that Bo across the street was heading there. I figured, if Bo can drive in the snow and ice, I can. Plus, I did want to try out the Jeep in these conditions.

Above, just after getting the Jeep out of the garage. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

All was fine until I got to the stop sign near the on and off ramps to I-40. The stop is at an upslope and it was so icy, I couldn't get enough traction to go forward after the stop. I've never seen the roads in the community so icy.

Above, stuck trucks at the I-40 ramps. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I backed up (actually rolled back) the Jeep a few feet and then put it into 4WD and it took off.

I got to the bridge and noticed two police cars blocking it on the other side. Then I saw cars going through. So I pressed ahead. On the Flying J side, I saw a massive traffic jam, but I was able to get through to go on to Denny's.

Above, trucks lined up waiting to get on I-40. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Some semi trucks were stalled near the top of the hill at I-40 and a long line of cars and trucks formed behind them.

After an hour, Bo and I were ready to leave, but we took a look and the access road was jammed in both directions. So, we decided to wait it out in Denny's.

During the time I waited around, I talked to some truckers and some of them were stuck at the Flying J since before midnight.

Finally, the New Mexico State Police arrived and got stalled big rigs out of the way with tow trucks and directed traffic.

In the future, I have to remember not to head down to the Flying J when the roads are all icy. It is now 28°, but at the time we were waiting, it was around 25°.

What a zoo!

No comments:

Search This Blog