"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Should You Hire a Tokyo Tour Guide?

Above, Ginza shopping district of Tokyo. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

The following is a little mind-boggling to me.

A "seasoned traveler" hired a guide to guide her around Tokyo on her second trip to Japan.

While it is true that Tokyo is a big city and one can get disoriented, all one really needs to do is to get a map of the city (the best one is from the Japan National Tourism Organization (or JNTO)) and a map of the subway and train systems (the train and subway stations have them), study and follow them. Additionally, they're free!

Above, these JNTO maps are the best ones to use.

But, it one still doesn't feel comfortable enough to rely on maps, maybe a hired guide is their best option.

Travel + Leisure posted an article on hiring a tour guide in Tokyo.

It begins with:
I’m a seasoned traveler with an intuitive sense of direction and a knack for Google Maps. I have successfully navigated cities across the globe, from Kigali to Chengdu and La Paz. But on my first trip to Tokyo, I got really turned around to the point where it eroded my navigational confidence. So when I returned a few years later, I decided to consult a professional. 
Japan is known for its rental friends, people you can hire for an hour or two to keep you company as you dine out or go shopping. But I didn’t need a buddy, I needed an expert who could navigate the streets with ease.

To read more, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog