"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Impromptu Drive Into Six Mile Canyon

Above, the truck and travel trailer turning off to the camping area. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

While heading back home from going to the post office at the Flying J this morning, I spotted a truck towing a travel trailer turning onto Six Mile Canyon Road. They were heading to Cibola National Forest for some camping, it appeared.

Keeping in mind that there's a washed-out spot on Six Mile Canyon Road at the culvert under I-40, I thought to myself, "This I gotta see!" The spot has passable last week, but that was before the rain and snow showers we had a couple of days ago. It would be no problem for the Jeep, but a truck and travel trailer may be a different story.

So I followed him in.

Above, the truck and travel trailer on the campground road. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

About a half mile down the road, he pulled over to let me pass. So I did. After making the turn in the road, I slowed and watched as he approached the culvert. As there's a dip there, the trailer disappeared from view as he entered it. He didn't emerge on the other side. I figured he have have gotten stuck there, so I turned the Jeep around and headed back.

As I was about to reach the turn in the road, he emerged. I stopped and he approached and stopped where I was sitting. I said, "You made it!" He laughed and said that's why he bought this particular model trailer (a Jayco 16-19' travel trailer) with its high profile to make it through washed-out sections of road. I told him that I didn't see him emerge and turned around to see if he needed any assistance. I told him that I have a Minnie Winnie motorhome and would like to take it into the canyon, but don't trust making it past the culvert. He thanked me and proceeded into Six Mile Canyon.

Above, a zoom shot of the truck and trailer heading to the campsites. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I turned around and followed him into the canyon. After about a mile and a half into the canyon, he turned on a side road where some existing campsites are located. I've been at the camping area and the sites are nice and secluded. Good choice! I am guessing he's been there before as he has New Mexico plates and knew where to go.

I proceeded on to the area near the windmill and turned around and eventually headed back home.

I could probably take the motorhome into the canyon by either going to McGaffey or the turn-off on McGaffey road a few miles north. That's definitely going the "long way around the barn."

No comments:

Search This Blog