"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Sunday, April 4, 2021

"The Ten Commandments" (1956)



Last night, I was changing stations on my television to see if there were anything interesting to watch (I miss TV Guide magazine) and came upon the1956 Cecil B. DeMille-directed epic, The Ten Commandments. It is the life of Moses, starring Charlton Heston as Moses and Yul Brynner as Rameses.

It was broadcast by ABC.

There were a number of other stars in the movie such as Edward G. Robinson, Debra Paget, Anne Baxter, John Carradine, Vincent Price, John Derek and Yvonne DeCarlo.

This is probably the movie that Heston is best known for. Years ago, I heard a story of Heston that took place during the filming. Allegedly, he was at either at the Paramount studio commissary or restaurant nearby in full Moses costume and had to go to the men's room. As he walked to it, someone yelled, "Look! It's Moses!"

Above, Charlton Heston (to the right of Nancy Reagan) at a 1984 Reagan
campaign kick-off rally in Fountain Valley, California. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I hadn't seen the movie in ages and this time it was a special treat, for it was in widescreen. I managed to start watching just before the plagues began, to force Rameses to free the Hebrew slaves. Of course, I managed to see the parting of the red sea and Moses on Mount Sinai to receive the Commandments. 

The special effects were good for its day, but looked to me more cartoony today. 

Still, I enjoyed watching it. 

No comments:

Search This Blog