"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Dollar/Yen Exchange Rates

Above, the Chiba Bank Currency Exchange Window in Terminal One
Arrival Lobby at Narita International Airport. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

The current rate of exchange between the U.S. dollar and Japanese yen is hovering around 102.76-.78, which is close to what it was during my trip to Japan last month. It was 102.32 at the time.

The rates I periodically quote are what they are in Tokyo, which governs the exchanges in Japan when visitors exchange their dollars for yen. People who go to Japan who can be considered "high rollers" will get this rate, but those of us not in that category will get a somewhat lesser rate.

I exchanged my dollars at Narita International Airport at the Chiba Bank, Ltd. window, which is just outside of the Immigration and Customs exit in the Arrival Lobby of Terminal One. The window is to the right of the exit.

The rate I received on this trip was 99.37 yen per dollar exchanged. While not over 100 yen, it was close enough and still far better than what I received three years ago (it was in the mid-80s). There may be some minor differences in the rates each bank in Japan will exchange for. Generally, I just go to the Chiba Bank window as it is close to the exit into the Arrival Lobby.

There is another bank at the lower level (near the train gates to Tokyo) that I am aware of. There may be more, but I haven't seen them.

So, whenever I post a blog about the dollar/yen exchange rates in Japan, keep in mind that those rates are generally obtained by "high rollers" visiting Japan. In other words, "your mileage may vary."

No comments:

Search This Blog