"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, April 3, 2020

Mirror Trouble and an Improvised Temporary Fix

Above, the Jeep with the old mirror and arm back on. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Today's little sojourn into Six Mile Canyon didn't work out too well and it was cut short.

I was exploring a dirt road on a hill in the Jeep. It was a narrow road with lots of brush (pines and juniper trees). Apparently, a branch caught the driver's side view mirror and tore the two aluminum brackets holding the arm of the mirror. One "L" shaped bracket was completely torn through at the bend and the other was torn partially (good thing, too, otherwise I would have lost the mirror and arm) leaving the mirror and arm hanging.

So I headed home and ordered a new mirror and mounting assembly (they don't sell just the mounting assemblies). It is a different mounting system than the one that I have.

In the meantime, I put on the old mirror and arm. The base of the arm has a bend to it and it has small tears (which is why I got the one that got thrashed today).

Then, I came up with an idea to strengthen it.

I have some metal epoxy putty and cut some pieces and put it on both sides of the tears. Once it dries, the putty will be as hard as a rock. This is a temporary fix until the new mirror and assembly arrives (it will be shipped Monday).

It is a good thing I didn't toss the old mirror and arm into the trash so I could improvise a temporary fix today.

No comments:

Search This Blog