"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Up To McGaffey

Above, at McGaffey Lake, which is part of Cibola National Forest. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Today's little adventure was taking the Jeep through Six Mile Canyon in Cibola National Forest up to McGaffey, which is a recreational area with a lake and campgrounds. The campgrounds are not yet open (that should come in about a month). I brought along my Canon Powershot camera.

Above, a forest intersection 2 miles from McGaffey on Six Mile Canyon Road. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

I drove through Six Mile Canyon and went on ahead to McGaffey. There, I stopped and enjoyed the scenery while drinking a Coke.

Above, at the forest intersection. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

From McGaffey, I headed north on State Route 400, which took me through the community of Fort Wingate, to Historic Route 66. I then headed east on Historic Route 66 to the on-ramp of eastbound Interstate 40 at the Iyanbito bridge.

Above, at the forest intersection on Six Mile Canyon Road. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

From there, I headed east on I-40 to Jamestown (about 2 miles). The Jeep's engine was not quite screaming while on I-40, but it handled it well. This is the first time driving the Jeep on Interstate 40 since I drove it into Gallup to register it.

Above, McGaffey Lake. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

The only person I saw in Six Mile Canyon was a man riding his mountain bike on Six Mile Canyon Road about a half mile from McGaffey. It appears I had the canyon all to myself again.

Above, at McGaffey Lake. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

McGaffey Lake looked a bit lower than when I was last there a year ago. Still, the scenery of there was worth the drive and the drive on Route 400 was also a nice scenic drive.  McGaffey reminds me a lot of the Big Bear Lake area of Southern California.

Today's drive was a good workout for the Jeep and me.

No comments:

Search This Blog